Summer School organized by Koç University, MIREKOC: "Highly Skilled and Student Mobility in the Age of Selective Migration", 12 July 2019
Jean Monnet Module Online Lecture on "Project Planning and Budget" at Eastern European University, Ukraine
30 May 2019
Jean Monnet Module Dersi: AB Konuşmaları: Türkiye Medyasının AB Kamusal Alanına Entegrasyonu
Ege Üniversitesi, 27-28 Mayıs 2019
Yaşar Üniversitesi, 10-11 Haziran 2019
Toplum Çevirmenliği Oturumu
Göç alanında çevirmenlerle çalışmak
Yaşar Üniversitesi Çeviri Topluluğu, 8 Mart 2019
Torbalıda Yaşayan Geçici Koruma Altındaki Suriyeliler ve Yaşanan Sorunlar Çalıştayı, 5 Mart 2019
Düzenleyen: Torbalı Kaymakamlığı, Türk Kızılay İzmir Toplum Merkezi ve Manisa Celal Bayar Üniversitesi işbirliği
Controversial impacts of EU’s externalisation of migration policy towards Turkey: the case of “EU Turkey Statement”
IEMed and Pompei Fabra University, Spain
2 April 2019
6th Joint Conference: New political challenges for Germany, Turkey and the EU 2019
Turkish German University, Istanbul, 03 May 2019
Panel: Migration and Diaspora Policy in EU-Turkey Relations: Latest Trends and Impact
Türk Kızılay İzmir Toplum Merkezi ve Yaşar Üniversitesi UNESCO Uluslaslararası Göç Kürsüsü işbirliğiyle,
27 Aralık 2018
The presentations of "Turkish-Japanese Research Workshop on Migration" are available at: https://
Intergovernmental Conference to adopt Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration
10-11 December 2018, Morocco
MA in Mediterranean Studies, University of Peloponnese
Lecture I: Conflict and Security in the Mediterranean, 11/01, 19:00-21:00
Lecture II: Comparative politics and government in the Mediterranean, 12/01, 10:00-12:00
Milli Savunma Üniversitesi, Deniz Güvenliği Mükemmelliyet Merkezi
Combating Migrant Smuggling
October 16, 2018
October 31-November 1 2018,
Presentation: "Policy implications of counter-migrant smuggling research"
Course: Irregular Migration, Smuggling of Migrants by Sea
16-18 October 2018, Istanbul
Organized by: Multinational Maritime Security Centre of Excellence (MARSEC COE)
TUR National Defense University-TUR NDU
Eğitimin Amacı: İl Göç Uzmanlarının insan hakları, yönetim kapasitesinin güçlendirme ve psiko-sosyal destek alanlarında kapasitesinin geliştirilmesi
26 Eylül 2018, Antalya, IOM
World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, Seville/Spain
July 19, 2018
Research Presentation with Selin SIVIS
Inclusion or Exclusion from Turkish Labour Market: An Ethnographic Analysis in Syrian Refugees in Izmir
Sahil Güvenlik Komutanlığının Akdeniz’deki Göç Akınlarını Yönetmesine ilişkin Operasyonel Kapasitesinin Güclendirilmesi Projesi
Uluslarası Göç Hukuku Eğiticilerin Eğitimi
6 Aralık 2017, Antalya
Egitim: "Kulturlerarasi İletisim ve Kulturel Hassasiyete Iliskin Farkindalik"
8 Kasım 2017, Ankara
"Kültürlerarası İletişim ve Kültürel Hassasiyete İlişkin Farkındalık" eğitiminin verilmesi
Düzenleyen: Uluslararası Göç Örgütü ve Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü
Proje: Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü'nün Geri Gönderme Merkezleri Kapasitesini Uluslararası İnsan Hakları Standartları Çerçevesinde Güçlendirme Destek Projesi
Women for Europe, November 24, 2017 Izmir
39th Session of the General Conference of UNESCO, October 31, 2017, Paris
25th anniversary of UNITWIN/UNESCO Chairs Programme
Conference on the Global Developments in the field of Migration and Impact on the Migration Situation in Turkey
13-14 September 2017, Ankara
Organized by: ICMPD
Gocmen Kacakciligi ve Insan Ticareti ile Mucadele Semineri, 13 Eylul 2017, Antalya
Duzenleyen: IOM ve Sahil Guvenlik Komutanligi
Polytechnic Institute of Setubal, Portugal, May 15 2017
Keynote Speech a "Changing world, changing attitudes" (Online participation)
Smart Phones : The only friend and guide of refugees on their perilous journey
Ayselin YILDIZ, Yasar University, Turkey
UNESCO Chair on International Migration
Smart phones are not only the facilitators of our lives and but also the connectors between societies and ideas all over the world. Despite their contributions to the development of humankind, they also constitute a challenge if used for immoral purposes which might threaten the security of information and our lives as well.
While the “security” and “smart phones” are mostly associated within a negative context, smart phones have totally a different role in refugees and migrants’ lives; they are the source of survival. Referring to the interviews I have conducted with several refugees and migrants (Syrians, Afghans, Pakistanis, Iraqis, Eritreans) transiting Turkey to reach Europe, smart phones are mentioned as lifesavers on their perilous journeys; to contact smugglers, to find out routes, to inform their followers about the next border crossings and to check-in for announcing safe arrival to the targeted destinations. Having left all their belongings back in the ruined homes, having lost their family members somewhere on their journey, smart phones are their only friend and guide on the dramatic and lonely journey of survival.
25 Mayis 2017
Yasar Universitesi, Psikoloji Bolumu
Online Lecture: Project Budget, Financial Reporting
1-2 June 2017
As a team member of JMM coordinated by Eastern European University, Ukraine
Subjects: PCM, Project Budget, Financial Reporting, Dissemination, Evaluation and Sustainibility
'Project Planning for Calls on Migration'; The training is designed only for the experts of Izmir DG Migration Management
Fifth Global International Studies Conference 1-3 April, 2017, Taipei, Taiwan
"From regional crisis to policy formulation: Repercussions of refugee crisis on EU-Turkey Relations”
Göçmen Kaçakçılığı ve İnsan Ticareti ile Mücadele Semineri
(Counter Migrant Smuggling and Human Trafficking Seminar)
4-6 Ocak 2017, Izmir
23 Mart 2017, Antalya
IOM, Goc Idaresi Genel Mudurlugu, Sahil Guvenlik Komutanligi ve Ingiltere Buyukelciligi
Jean Monnet Semineri: “Türkiye-AB İlişkilerinde bir Entegrasyon Aracı olarak AB Mali Yardımları”
Ege Sanayici ve İş Adamları Derneği, 22 Aralık 2016
Presentation: An Academic Perspective on Irregular Migration Movements
15-16 December 2016, İzmir
Organized by Association for Solidarity with Asylum Seekers and Migrants (ASAM)
2nd Turkish-German Frontiers of Social Science Symposium 2016
"Forced Migration: Structures, Actors, Processes"
November 24 – 27, 2016
"Turkey’s Evolving Immigration Policy and its Implications on Turkey-EU Relations"
"Migration and Employment in Turkey"
Organized by Assembly of European Regions
International Symposium on “Refugees and Migrants: A Global Problem or an Asset” jointly organised by Association of Academies and Societies of Sciences in Asia (AASSA) & Turkish Academy of Sciences (TUBA)
20-23 October 2016, Ankara
Paper Presentation: “Policy and Politics of Migration in Europe: Insights from a Field Research in Izmir”
ARGE Proje Günleri-Ulusal ve AB Hibe Programları, Proje Yönetimi
Tarih: 13-14 Ekim 2016
Yer: Yaşar Üniversitesi Konferans Salonu
Bu etkinlik "AB Hibeleri ve Proje Yönetimi" isimli Jean Monnet Modülü kapsamında ve Yaşar Üniversitesi Bilgi ve Teknoloji Transfer Ofisi işbirliğinde düzenlenmektedir.
21.Yüzyılda Uluslararası Göç, Yeditepe Üniversitesi, 10-11 Ekim 2016
"Avrupa'da Göçmen Sorununu Anlamak: MEDMIG Projesi Araştırma Bulguları"
EAIE Spotlight Seminar: 'Integrating refugees into higher education: solutions for a generation on the run'
Amsterdam, 9-10 June 2016
Helena LINDHOLM (University of Gothenburg) and Ayselin YILDIZ
“Conflicts on NATO`s Southeastern Flank: Migration and Violent Extremism”
NATO Allied Land Command, Izmir
27 May 2016
"Challenges for European Asylum Policy: People and Crisis in Limbo"
Panel organized by DAAD (Ankara), 24.05.2016
International Migration and Diplomacy May 18, 2016
Koc University, MIREKOC and Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs Center for Strategic Research
Keynote Speech: "Refugees in Izmir: in transit, stranded or settling down? Account from a key migration hub in Turkey"
18 March, 2016 at University of Oxford, Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), South East European Studies (SEESOX)
For the lecture, Jean Monnet Module of Assit.Prof.Dr.Kahyaoğlu (GRAF020) please read: Gerard Delanty. The European Heritage from a Critical Cosmopolitan Perspective. LSE Europe in Question Discussion Paper Series. 19/2010
(This activity is organized as part of the enhanced institutional cooperation between Yasar University and University of Pittsburgh as part of FP7 project, EUGLOBAL)
Reading List for Seminar on November 13, 17:00-18:30, Senate Room)
Topic: Population and Migration
Session Coordinators: Christopher Blasco and Ayselin Yıldız
- Rogers Brubaker. “The Return of Assimilation? Changing Perspectives on Immigration and Its Sequels in France, Germany, and the United States” Ethnic and Racial Studies 24.4 (2001): 531-548.
- Eurostat (2015) “Migration in the EU”. 10/06/2015
- Sandra Lavenex & Rahel Kunz (2008) The Migration–Development Nexus in EU External Relations, Journal of European Integration, 30:3, 439-457, DOI: 10.1080/07036330802142152
- Icduygu, A. (2015, April). ‘Syrian Refugees in Turkey The Long Road Ahead’.Transatlantic Council on Migration. Migration Policy Institute
- Hein de Haas (2015, September 22) “Feigning immigration control”. Personal Blog
- Bhagwati, Jagdish. 2003. “Borders Beyond Control.” Foreign Affairs. 82(1): 98-104.
- Jacoby, Tamar. 2011. “Germany’s Immigration Dilemma: How Can Germany Attract the Workers It Needs.” Foreign Affairs. 90(2): 8-14.
Reading List for Seminar on November 6, 17:00-18:30, Senate Room)
Topic: Conflict and Proliferation of Weapons
Session Coordinators: Christopher Blasco and Nazif Mandacı
- Charles A. Kupchan: How Enemies Become Friends: The Sources of Stable Peace, Princeton U. Press, 2010
- Stephan Walt: Deal or Not Deal? Actually That’s Not the Right Question, Foreign Policy, April 12, 2015
- Strazzari Francesco & Simone Tholens. 2009. “Tesco for Terrorists’ Reconsidered: Arms and Conflict Dynamics in Libya and in the Sahara-Sahel Region.” European Journal of Criminal Policy Research. 20: 343-360.
- Sagan, Scott D. 2009. “Shared Responsibilities for Nuclear Disarmament.” Daedalus. Fall. 157-68.
- Schelling, Thomas C. 2009. “A World Without Nuclear Weapons?” Daedalus. Fall. 124-9.
Reading List for Online Seminar with Uni.Pitt (October 16, 18:00-19:30) Senate Room
Topic: Inequality and Poverty
- Drezner, Daniel W. 2000. “Bottom Feeders”. Foreign Policy. 121: 64-70
- Milanovic, Branko. 2013. “Inequality and Democratic Capitalism.” The Globalist. 15 March
- Piketty, Thomas. 2014. “Save capitalism from the capitalists by taxing wealth.” Financial Times. 29 March
- Sheppard, Eric, and Helga Leitner. 2010. “Quo vadis neoliberalism? The remaking of global capitalist governance after the Washington Consensus.” Geoforum 41.2 : 185-194
- Lapavitsas, Costas. “Financialised capitalism: Crisis and financial expropriation.” Historical Materialism 17.2 (2009): 114-148
- Gowan, Peter. “Crisis in the Heartland.” New Left Review 55.2 (2009): 5-29
- Kumi, Emmanuel, Albert A. Arhin, and Thomas Yeboah. 2014.”Can post-2015 sustainable development goals survive neoliberalism? A critical examination of the sustainable development–neoliberalism nexus in developing countries.” Environment, development and sustainability 16.3 : 539-554
- Doyle, M.,Stiglitz, J.”Eliminating Extreme Inequality: A Sustainable Develeopment Goal, 2015-2030